Visas From the Violence Against Women Act VAWA

Hammond Law Group, LLC

Cleveland Ohio Violence Against Women Visa Attorney

Visas for Victims of Violence: VAWA and Trafficking Visas

Member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA)

The immigration law office of Hammond Law Group, LLC, offers discounted legal rates for victims of domestic violence or trafficking who wish to obtain independent legal immigration status. If you are staying in an abusive relationship because you are worried about losing your immigration status, contact us for a confidential consultation with an experienced immigration lawyer.

At the immigration law firm of Hammond Law Group, LLC, we believe in the promise of America as a nation of immigrants — and just as strongly, we believe in the right of every person in this country to live free from violence. Several different types of visas are available for women, men and children who are victims of domestic violence or of the trafficking trade. Whether you are currently living with your abuser or are facing deportation proceedings because you have left the abusive relationship, let us explain your options and help you decide how to proceed. We have offices in Cleveland and Columbus. We represent clients all over the country and across the world. Send an e-mail or call 866-448-2994 to talk to an experienced lawyer about VAWA visas or visas for victims of human trafficking.

Basic Information About VAWA Visas

The Violence Against Women Act (VAWA) offers independent visa options to anyone whose immigration status depends on his or her relationship with a U.S. citizen or permanent resident who is abusing them. With visas under the Violence Against Women Act, victims of abuse can self-petition for permanent residency and for their own biological children. Immigrant children suffering abuse at the hands of a biological or step-parent who is a U.S. citizen or permanent resident may also use the Violence Against Women Act visa process to self-petition for an independent green card.

The requirements for visas under the Violence Against Women Act are many and strict, and the possible consequences of failure in the petitioning process are serious. This is why legal help for self-petitioning spouses is critical. Also, the benefits of approval are many. You will receive work authorization and you will receive deferred action status on any  deportation proceedings. It is also important to know that if deportation proceedings have already begun, you may be able to use a Violence Against Women Act to get the deportation proceedings cancelled.

If you are staying with an abusive U.S. citizen because you are worried your marriage visa won't be approved if you leave — contact us for legal advice. If your Violence Against Women Act visa petition is approved, then you no longer need the marriage status to get your green card.

Visas for Victims of Trafficking

Two primary laws protect victims of trafficking: the Trafficking Victims Protection Act and the Victims of Trafficking and Violence Protection Act. These laws offer U visas and T visas to trafficking victims.

T visas are for people who are brought to the United States under fraudulent conditions then forced into prostitution or slavery. For example, if you were brought into the United States with the promise of a student visa, then had your passport taken away and were forced to work as a prostitute, you may qualify for a T visa.

U visas can also be used to help trafficking victims. U visas a broader in scope and provide status for applicants who have suffered physical and/or mental abuse as the result of being a victim of certain criminal activity. Both types of visas (T and U) require the applicants to cooperate fully with law enforcement investigations.

Contact Hammond Law Group, LLC.

We have immediate appointments available. Call 866-448-2994 or contact us online to make a private appointment — in person or on the telephone.